These poblano chicken enchiladas without tortillas are a great recipe with vegetables that will help you add more veggies into your diet. They are creamy, flavorful, and have a kick that you’re going to love!
I love me some spicy food! I love the flavor of poblanos. Pepprocinnis and poblanos are two of my favorites and my wife and I and her daycare kids grow them in our preschool garden. I love being able to choose what kind of foods we grow and in turn what we eat. And my wife is an amazing cook as well and she shared this recipe for chicken stuffed poblanos that she makes for me. It’s like enchiladas but without all of the unhealthy grains in the tortillas.
If you want to make it with healthy whole grains, you could cut the poblanos up into small pieces and add them into the stuffing with the chicken. But even though I’m a bread lover, I don’t miss the tortillas in this dish. She makes spicy dishes with tortillas sometimes like burritos and enchiladas but it’s hard to find healthy tortillas where we live. So since she likes to stick with ancient grains recipes, we eat fewer tortillas and more ancient grains in other ways.
Chicken Stuffed Poblanos
These poblano enchiladas are stuffed with yummy chicken, creamy sauce, flavorful cheeses, and green chilies for a little more spice since poblanos aren’t super hot. They are packed with flavor though and that’s why I love them. We have been losing weight for about a year and a half now and I love all the ways my wife has learned to make dishes healthier for us but still so enjoyable. I look forward to dinner with vegetables now.
Stuffed poblano peppers with chicken
These peppers are so good, she uses her homemade taco seasoning for the flavors, they are beautiful and actually fairly easy. She usually makes the chicken ahead of time and uses the leftover chicken to stuff the peppers. She usually makes a double batch because they are so good leftover AND they freeze great! No tortillas to get soggy!
Poblano Chicken Enchiladas
Poblano Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 large poblano peppers seeded & halved
- 2 cups chicken cooked
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons enkorn flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream divided
- 4 oz green chilis
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray
- Cut the tops off of the poblano peppers, remove seeds, and cut in half lengthwise
- In a bowl mix chicken, 1 cup of cheese, ½ cup sour cream, and all seasonings until well combined
- Fill the pepper halves with the chicken mixture and place in baking dish
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt the butter then whisk in the flour
- Add in chicken broth then remaining sour cream and green chilis
- Stir until sauce thickens then pour over stuffed peppers
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted and golden brown
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, serve, and enjoy!
These chicken enchiladas are a great way to add more vegetables into your diet even if you hate vegetables. They have won me over and I’m a classic veggie avoider. And if you love spicy food, check these Chicken burrito bowls out too. Or these amazing chipotle chicken kabobs.
No comments! Be the first commenter?