These picadillo chicken taco salad bowls are one of our healthy go-to meals with vegetables. Instead of serving it over rice, we serve it over lettuce and a few tortilla chips. It’s easy enough to make any night of the week.
Picadillo is a traditional Latin American dish. It’s bursting with Latin flavors and all the goodness you could ask for.
You can make variations of picadillo too:
- Use ground turkey instead of ground chicken
- You can use lentils or chickpeas instead of meat to make it vegetarian
- You can stuff it in a potato or a taco
- You can serve it over cauliflower rice or quinoa
How to eat salad when you hate it
If you hate vegetables like I used to, check out something like this. Start with fewer veggies and gradually work your way up to more and more until you learn to love them. My wife did so many things to help me take it slow and now there are many vegetables I actually like. If I can do it after being raised on a coke and candy bar every day and meat if we were lucky, you can do it! I look forward to dinner with vegetables now.
Making taco salad bowls is so easy and easy to clean up too. Everyone has their own spin on the dish, but this one is going to be one of your favorites. You can spice it up more or lower it down to fit your tastes. I just know you gotta make it because you’re going to love it! And also, check out these Chicken burrito bowls. And for more spicy yum, check out chipotle chicken kabobs.
For more salad ideas, check these out:
- Ancient Grains Salad Recipes
- Steak Salad With Strawberry Lemon Vinaigrette
- Greek Pasta Salad Chicken
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Farro Salad
- Greek Yogurt Broccoli Salad
- Cranberry Walnut Salad Pinwheels
I can’t wait until you try this picadillo chicken taco salad because I know you are going to absolutely love it! I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Get more ideas for healthy lunches for weight loss here.
Puerto Rican Picadillo
Picadillo Chicken Taco Salad Bowl
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes not drained
- 1 cup red potatoes skin on, chopped small
- ¼ cup dry plums chopped
- ¼ cup green olives pimento stuffed, quartered
- Tostada shells broken in quarters
- 1 head lettuce shredded
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese shreds
- Green onion chopped for garnish
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- In a skillet cook ground chicken with onion and seasoning until meat is done
- Drain if needed then stir in potatoes, tomatoes, plums, and olives
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
- Cover and cook 10 minutes until potatoes are tender
- Uncover and allow liquids to evaporate
- Remove from heat and cool slightly
- Place lettuce on serving platter with tostada pieces and around the edge of the platter then layer on chicken mix, cheese, green onion, and cilantro