Chipotle oven chicken kabobs have a smoky and slightly spicy flavor, thanks to the chipotle pepper used in the seasoning. The chicken is juicy and tender. The perfect dinner with vegetables for tonight
Chipotle chicken kabobs can be a delicious and flavorful dish with a bit of heat and smokiness. For more recipes with a little kick, check these out:
- Picadillo Chicken Taco Salad
- Cajun Pasta Skillet Recipe
- Poblano Chicken Enchiladas without Tortillas
- Chipotle Steak
- Low Carb Millionaire Chicken Casserole
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are a staple ingredient in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. Chipotle peppers are smoke-dried jalapeño peppers that are rehydrated and then canned in a flavorful tomato-based sauce called adobo.
Adobo sauce is a tangy, slightly sweet, and slightly spicy sauce made with tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, onions, and spices such as cumin, oregano, and paprika. It provides a deep and rich smoky flavor to dishes and can be used as a marinade or a sauce.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be found in most grocery stores and are often used in recipes such as soups, stews, chili, marinades, and sauces. They are particularly popular in dishes like chipotle chicken, tacos, and burritos. Depending on how much adobo sauce you use, the dish can range from mildly spicy to very hot, so it’s essential to adjust the amount to your taste preference.
Oven chicken kabobs
While grilling is the traditional method of cooking kabobs, baking them in the oven is a great alternative, especially if you don’t have access to a grill or the weather is not suitable for outdoor cooking. If grilling the recipe, be sure to place the wooden skewers in a water bath to soak for 30 minutes minimum. Best if soaked overnight.
Some alternative ideas for these chicken kabobs:
- Metal Skewers: You could use metal skewers instead of wooden skewers if you have them.
- Steak Tips: For this baked chicken kabob recipe, you could switch the chicken for steak tips.
- Switch up the Veggies: Feel free to switch the type of vegetables you use, you don’t have to stick to just peppers and onions, you could also use zucchini, mushrooms, red onions, or broccoli.
- Grill Chicken Kabobs: You can make this recipe for chicken kabobs on the grill or a grill pan on the stove top too.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice will finish the dish perfectly.
Chicken skewers in the oven
Chipotle Oven Chicken Kabobs
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken tenderloins
- 1 pound of mixed peppers red, yellow and orange
- 1 small white onion cut up
- 7 ounce can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- To create the rub add the adobo sauce, garlic powder, and cumin to a food processor. Pulse for 10 seconds or until pureed. Pour the sauce into a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the chicken into large cubes and place it into the medium-sized bowl. Mix until the chicken is fully coated in sauce.
- Cut the peppers and onion and place into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the skewers.
- Place the prepared skewers in the baking dish resting on top of the peppers and onions.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove from the oven once cooked. The internal temperature should read 165ºF (74ºC).