This lemon butternut squash soup is great any time of the year, but especially during those colder nights. This dish has nutritious vegetables that taste delicious and is quick to boot.
Butternut squash soup health benefits
Butternut squash is a very good source of beta carotene, as are other fruits and vegetables with a yellow hue. (That’s why we try to eat a rainbow every day. Each color is full of certain nutrients.) Beta-carotene converts to vitamin A when it becomes an antioxidant. Vitamin A is crucial for cell growth.
Vitamin A is also connected to eye, heart, lung, hair, and skin health and function. Butternut squash is also a good source of vitamin C. Vitamins C and B are essential for the basic health of humans. These minerals contribute to muscle hydration and muscle functionality.
This soup is a great way to add delicious vegetables into your diet, even if you hate them. And to get enough nutrition from the food you eat, so you can live a fit and healthy life. Nutrition is a big part of your fitness journey!
Here’s my wife Christina to tell you more about how to make this soup!
How to break down butternut squash
Butternut squash is a hard and fibrous fruit. When breaking down a butternut squash, you want to do the following:
- Cut both ends off the squash so you have a flat base to work from.
- Either slice the skin off or use a heavy duty vegetable peeler.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut each piece of butternut crosswise into slices.
Lemon Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 inch Ginger Peeled and grated or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 Onion
- 1 Zest of lemon
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and diced
- 4 c Vegetable Stock
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 c Coconut Milk
- Saute the aromatics, ginger, squash, and lemon zest in olive oil.
- Add the stock and cilantro before allowing the mixture to boil.
- Boil until squash is fork tender.
- Blend and return to the heat before adding the coconut milk.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
How to serve Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is delicious as a starter, side, or main dish. When I make it the center of my meal, you can find me serving it with some good crusty bread like focaccia and avocado toast! Here are some ideas:
- Serve topped with ground thyme powder or freshly chopped black pepper.
- You can use a side of crispy flatbread with this vegan butternut squash soup if you so desire, as well.
- You could serve this soup in a bread bowl, with a sandwich, or by itself as a lighter meal. I tend to top mine with a bit of extra coconut milk, chopped chilis, or a bit of shredded coconut. Of course, this is a personal preference.
- You could even eat it chilled if you prefer a delicious soup for the warmer days.
How to store Butternut squash soup
Store the lemon butternut soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze this soup. It will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
If you want to reach your fitness goals, you have to think about good food. Here are some more articles that will help you eat healthy!
- Ancient Grains Recipes
- Healthy Breakfasts to Lose Weight
- Balancing Macronutrients for Weight Loss
- Sheet Pan Cauliflower and Butternut Squash Meal
- Smoothie Bowl Recipes
- Chicken and Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Cajun chicken pasta skillet